You are here
Camp registration deadline is June 15, 2018
LIMITED HOUSING - ENROLL EARLY!
Viking Band Camp Information - Please Read Before Coming to Camp
RESIDENT CAMPERS: 1:30 - 3:00 p.m.
COMMUTERS: 3:00 - 3:45 p.m.
NOTE: ANY JUNIOR BAND MEMBER WISHING TO PLAY IN THE JAZZ BAND - CHECK IN BY 2:30 p.m. ~ You will rehearse 3:00-4:00 p.m. 4:00 p.m. Mandatory Meeting in Fine Arts Theater for ALL Campers
For Resident Campers - (Registration ~ 1:30-3:00 pm) . . . . . WHAT TO BRING!
1. Be sure to bring your instrument and a wire music stand, plenty of reeds, valve oil, mutes for trumpets, PENCILS, and any other supplies you need. Make sure you have your name on your case and stand. Leave a copy of your serial number and make of instrument at home.
2. A list of ALL medications you will have in your possession while at camp. Include your name, your emergency contact name and phone number. Turn your list (dosage/times) and meds in at registration in a zip lock bag.
3. If you plan to swim, bring your swim suit, gear, towels, bag for your swim wear, and tennis shoes or flip-flops.
4. A Lanyard will be provided at check-in for your key. Campers are expected to wear this lanyard at all times during normal camp activities and on campus.
5. Clothing for everyday wear. We will be housed and rehearse in air-conditioned buildings - school attire is appropriate. Night activities will include an ice cream social, a recreational night, a movie night, and a party/dance (bring your CD’s!)
6. Do not bring large sums of money. Bring only what you may need for vending machines. You may bring snacks and sodas, each dorm room has a refrigerator.
7. Bring an umbrella and/or rain gear.
8. Alarm Clocks! You are responsible for waking yourself up each day.
9. Concert attire - Camp t-shirt (provided at sign-in), shorts (preferably khaki), tennis shoes/socks.
10. Bring toiletries - tooth brush, toothpaste, roll of toilet tissue, soap, and anything else you may need.
Bedding - You will be sleeping on twin beds - bring a sleeping bag or twin sheets, pillow, pillow case, hand towels, wash cloths, bathing towels, and anything else you may need.
Roommate Selection - Every effort has been made to include at least one roommate of your choice. The person you have requested must also have requested you. To eliminate problems prior to registration, please check with your roommate preference to see if they, in fact, did enroll in the camp. If not, they should either send application immediately, or you should be prepared to room with another student from your school or community area. Room assignments will not be complete until one week before camp. Please do not call or email about roommate selections, as our staff and secretaries are very busy this time of year.
For Commuter Campers - (Registration 3:00-3:45 p.m.)
All commuter campers need to be checked in Sunday by 3:45 p.m. Bring your instrument and a wire music stand, reeds, valve/slide oil, trumpet mutes, and any other supplies you may need. Make sure you have your name on your case and stand. Leave a copy of your serial number and make of instrument at home.
Concert Attire - Camp t-shirt, shorts (preferably khaki), tennis shoes/socks.
Commuter Camper Daily Schedule - An information page will be given upon registration.
Since you are a commuter, parents will need to have students on campus at 8:45 a.m., and students should go directly to their designated rehearsal areas and be ready for the 9:00 a.m. rehearsals. If students plan to swim, they will swim from 4:00-5:15 p.m. on Days 2-4 and may be picked up at 5:15 p.m. in front of the Field House. If they do not plan to swim, they should be picked up at 3:50 p.m. at the lower level of Fine Arts. On Day 5, students may be picked up at 2:00 p.m. at the Fine Arts Bldg. Day 1 dinner, as well as daily lunch, will be served to all commuter campers. Commuter campers are welcome to attend evening activities provided they are wearing their lanyards. (Lanyards will be given at camp registration.) Jazz band will rehearse 6:00-7:00 p.m. on Days 2-4; and 8:30-9:00 a.m. on Day 5.
Family Invited To Concert Evening Dinner
A special promotional offer is available to have dinner and stay over each afternoon for jazz band members or anyone wishing to stay for evening activities. Meals will cost $5.00 and may be paid daily or at registration, if they wish to stay.
Cell Phone/Pager Policy
Most students have access to cell phones or pagers; therefore, it is necessary to have a policy regarding the use of cell phones. As in most schools, cell phones are to be turned off during the instructional time. They may be used during breaks, AFTER meals, and basically any time a camp activity is not in progress. We strongly suggest students not use them after room check, so they may get the required amount of rest for the next day’s activities. We ask ALL students to refer any problems to the staff BEFORE calling home. Parents are asked to refer student calls/problems back to staff members. If a problem warrants parental contact, the staff will call.
The music camp is a time for students to have fun, meet new friends, and refresh or gain new knowledge about their instrument and music. However, it is important to realize the main focus of the camp, which is music. Students are expected to adhere to all camp rules and policies. Students who do not follow the rules and policies will be asked to leave camp without refund. Students who leave camp for any reason will not receive a refund in part or in full. The camp staff will do everything possible to make sure students have a safe and enjoyable time at camp. If this is the first time a camper has been away from home for a period of time, we recommend parents to encourage the camper not to call home too often and to make the best out of their experiences. Our staff is experienced in dealing with homesick campers. Parents, you may call our number (provided at check-in) if you suspect a problem in this area.
Camp Rules and Policies
1. Students are expected to be on time for all rehearsals, meals, and activities, wearing their lanyards.
2. Please walk when traveling on campus; do not run. Stay in groups to and from activities.
3. Resident campers: After room check, remain in your room until meeting time for breakfast.
4. Be courteous to staff, fellow campers, and college employees at all times.
5. Students may only be in their assigned rooms, they may not be in other rooms at any time. Rooms are off limits to commuters and students not assigned to the room.
VIOLATORS WILL BE SENT HOME!
6. Stay out of buildings and areas that are not part of the camp usage.
7. If you become ill, notify a camp staff member immediately. If it is urgent, parents will be notified immediately.
8. For your safety, no skateboards, roller skates, etc. Hand held video games are permitted, however, all games must be turned off by 10:30 p.m.
9. Students are encouraged to participate in ALL nightly activities. If they do not participate they will attend and observe. No student will be allowed to remain in their rooms or other campus areas.
10. Housing Office: Students will be introduced to the housing office staff. They are very helpful.
11. Resident campers who need to leave camp for ball games, dance lessons, church, etc., must check out with parent or guardian by notifying camp staff before departure and upon return to campus. Please inform staff of possible departures or visits at check-in.
12. Upon check-in to the dorms, you will have a person designated as your emergency contact if the need should arise during your stay. In the event of an emergency weather situation, campus security will notify housing authorities, and campers will be moved to a secure location until the “all clear” signal is given. Students are expected to act in an appropriate manner and follow instructions.
Swimming - The college pool will be open for student use Days 2-4, the pool will be supervised by the college life guards. Students will take a swimming test to determine their abilities and their swimming privileges (i.e. diving boards, deep water, etc.) Students who elect not to swim will go with the students to the pool and have other activities available.
First Night - Rehearsal, dinner for ALL CAMPERS - and another full rehearsal. Commuters picked up at 9:00 p.m.
Second Night - A night at the movies/refreshments. A movie for campers - an ageappropriate rating will be shown. (Commuters picked up at 9:30 p.m. at Fine Arts Building
Third Night - A fun night for all and great snacks!!! (Commuters picked up at 9:30 p.m. at Fine Arts Building
Fourth Night Dance/Party/Commuters picked up at 9:15 p.m. - Student Center (Cafeteria) The final night of camp and an opportunity to enjoy the evening dancing, group games, snacks, and saying good byes. Bring your CDs, the camp staff will serve as your host and DJ! A FUN NIGHT!
Final Night - CONCERT 6:00 p.m. / Outstanding Camper Awards
At the concerts on Friday evening, Outstanding Camper Awards will be presented to those individuals who have displayed progress, discipline, and camp spirit. The camp staff will chose the recipients.
Last Day of Camp
On the final day of camp, students will be very busy having final rehearsals, getting instructions, camp pictures, and preparing for camp checkout and the concert. Parents, please review the following information. CONCERT at 6:00 p.m.!
FOR ALL CAMPERS: Please be in your assigned area and dressed for the concert no later than 5:45 p.m. The concert will begin promptly at 6:00 p.m. Campers are expected to stay until the conclusion of the performances. (About 7:15 p.m.)
Commuters may be picked up at 2:00 p.m. at the Cafeteria located in the lower level of the Fine Arts Bldg.
Resident Check-Out: Campers will be given final instructions at the morning rehearsals. They will return to the dorms for packing, picking up the room, and prepare for check-out. Starting at 3:00 p.m., staff will check each room for damages and cleanliness of the room. If damages exist, students will be billed for damage. Students will be available for pickup beginning at approximately 3:30-4:00 p.m. Dinner will be served 4:30-5:15 p.m. Students may elect to have dinner with their parents at an area restaurant or they may wish to eat in the college cafeteria. If parents and family wish to eat in the college cafeteria, cost is $5.00 per person, and tickets need to be purchased at registration on Day 1. If unable to commit, you may call the camp number before Day 3 of camp week with the number of tickets needed and pay for them Day 4 of camp. Cash or checks only.
If parents cannot pick their child up before 4:15 p.m., students should take their luggage, bedding, etc. to the Theater Green Room for storage, and parents may pick up their child and belongings after the concert.
The concert will be professionally recorded and available for purchase by order form for $9.00 per CD. Please click here for the concert recording order form. After the camp, group photos will be available for you to print off our website at no charge.
EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION
If a camper needs to be contacted for a family emergency only, parents may call the Fine Arts secretary at 636-481-3331, from 8:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. An additional emergency contact number for one of our staff will be given at registration with last minute information or changes. Be sure to give your name, your child’s name, number where you can be reached, and inform them that your child is in the Music Camp. Students will be given the information and return your call as soon as possible.
We hope your child will have a valuable and enjoyable musical experience at Jefferson College!